Mango Sticky Rice (ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง) Or Sweet sticky rice with Mangoes
ingredients to make sweet sticky rice
- Glutinous rice (old harvest) 1 kilogram
- coconut cream 600 grams
- granulated sugar 400 grams
- salt 1 tbsp
- coconut oil 0.5 cup
- alum (option) 1 pc
- pandanus leaves 10 pcs
coconut cream 2.5 cups | salt 1 tsp | granulated sugar 2 tbsp | pandanus leaves 3 pcs
How to cook sweet sticky rice
- After you have all ingredients. Wash sticky rice and rinse 5 times. Adding water and alum gently scrub rice until clean. Soke rice for 3 hours then use a strainer and transfer rice into bowl.
- Use a stemmer pot. when water is boiling. Lay cheese cloth on a second container and add rice to steam for 30 minutes.
- Combined coconut cream + granulated sugar + coconut oil + pandanus leave and salt
To dissolve on stove until boiling then turn off.
- Prepare a mixing bowl. Add cooked glutinous rice then spread it out. Add coconut mixture from above and mix well. Cover with lid and let it steamed and let cool.
- prepared serving plate. Arrange sweet sticky rice on a plate. Topped with coconut cream or separate if you wish to. Sprinkles with golden roasted yellow split peas. ✅
How to make coconut cream for topping
- combined all ingredients into pot. Heat until boiling. Turn off a stove. done ✅
why to use old harvest glutinous (old crop) rice ?
The choice of glutinous rice variety should be old glutinous rice. Because after glutinous rice is cooked, it will not be soggy. Old rice with be beautiful grains after cooked.
Please explain more about rice scrubs with alum.
Using hands to scrub sticky rice with alum in water. This must be done gently so not to break the rice grains. Or use alum to stir it around. Or you can soak the alum for 5-10 minutes with rice. when you see that the rice water is starting to turn black. It can be done.
What type of mangoes to choose?
In Thailand, The best original mango called “Okrong Mango” The charm this type has a sweet aroma. There are small splinters. Size of Okrong mango is not large.
Nam Dock Mai Mango is popular today. For myself I love sweet sticky rice to serve with “Okrong” mango if it’s available.